Sharenergy is a not-for-profit co-op whose mission is to put a zero-carbon rocket under community owned renewable energy in the UK. We believe that community-led, community owned energy is a key gateway to tackling climate change while repairing social cohesion.
We founded Sharenergy in 2011 in response to a growing demand for support from emerging community energy organisations across the UK. We provide support for the full lifecycle of a community energy project from helping to find sites to putting together robust business models, raising serious finance and running successful social businesses. Our ethos is to provide support exactly where it is needed and to work to build skills, knowledge and resilience in the co-operatives we work with.
We now employ 6 people and have created a financially sustainable enterprise providing a range of much-needed low-cost services exclusively to the community energy sector. We have worked with over 200 volunteer-led community energy organisations since 2011 and are recognized as a leader in the field. Our surplus is all reinvested into making community energy work.
Sharenergy is very well placed to make the Big Solar Co-op vision into a reality. We bring:
- A network of over 6,500 active volunteers and community power supporters
- Detailed experience of how to make projects work long term, based on working day to day with over 30 community energy projects.
- A dedicated team who work exclusively with grassroots community renewables, and who have expertise in the wider worlds of renewable energy and co-operatives.
- A skill set that covers every aspect of making a community energy project happen – site finding, lease negotiations, technical understanding, financial modelling, co- operative setup and governance, accounting, bookkeeping, community finance raising and public engagement.
- A track record of helping to secure over £20million in community finance for community energy organisations.
- The insights gained from being involved at the heart of projects from inception, through the development process, and for many years into the delivery phase.
There’s more about Sharenergy on our website.